

Summerside School Council (2023-01-25 19:01 GMT-5) - Transcript

Attendees

Andrea Gordon, Angela Ronald, DEVEN GILL, ETHAN ABEL, Jenna AuCoin, Jenna Robertson, Nik Cotter, Rebecca Pereira, Rebecca Stanisc, REUBEN JOHNSTON, Saaimah Malik, Steph Somerville, Stuart van Oostveen, Sui Ling

Transcript

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.

Jenna Robertson: Talking about quorum. Oh yeah, thanks Jenna. Been a long day. Sui Ling. Did you want to introduce kind of what we talked about with? being able to meet quorum and what that means for this group going forward kind of what we just discussed with Stuart and uh Jenna

Sui Ling: Okay. So, after reading the Constitution, we we decided that consensus is how we like to make decisions, you know, whatever we want to do as a school counsel with the school consensus to us means

Sui Ling: there be A vote from one teacher like one teacher vote represented by even though there's like two or three teachers on on at the meeting they'll be one vote for the teachers, they'll be one vote for a student. So on this call there's two students but they only allow one boat based on our constitution. And the remaining would be from the parents. So on this call. There's one, two, three, four. Five, six, seven, eight. I'm not sure if this two others is considered two people. I only see two others. So there's eight parents on board at this meeting. and if we have consensus, meaning, Of these eight parents, and the two other votes. Is the majority. That's how we read it. And Not.

Sui Ling: And if we can't get a consensus based on that, we will take a vote a vote. Meaning it will be the one teacher one student and who are considered members at large.

Sui Ling: And I think that's how we agreed to be. Does that sound right Jenna in Jenna? so now we have more people, so like it'll be One, two, three.

Sui Ling: Six seven. So we have nine parents on on the line one student and a one teacher of vote. So it'll be at least. I'm gonna have to write this down before I forget. Nine parents. One teacher. And one student. So

Sui Ling: we'll need at least five parents to vote. Yes, to do to vote to. to go forward on any suggestions that we make today

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, and we just wanted to go over that quickly because we do have a few things that we want to action today as a group and for discussions. So, does anybody have any comments on that before we move forward? Oh, Nick. Go ahead.

Nik Cotter: Just one thing, Stuart and I have been talking about today in terms of of voting and quorum and everything in particular in regards to the Constitution that maybe at some point, not right now, obviously, but it might be worth looking at the Constitution again from my recollection. I think the year that that covid got started and everything, I believe there was a sub committee that was looking at the Constitution and possible changes to make just in terms of clarifying, some of that language. So if we could take a look at that, maybe at some point, particularly in regards to to the student vote when it comes to that, we were looking at some of the policies and procedures and it does seem to be that from the school board and the ministry perspective that a student selected by the principal and improved by the by the School Council, can have a vote. We just need to look at whether that.

Nik Cotter: A rotating student or if it needs to be somebody selected for the year that it's pre-approved. Because our approach has been to have different students. Hopefully, take on that role. And then the other piece would be just if those students then can know ahead of schedule and well ahead of schedule, what the voting items are so that they can gather information from the student council in order to have it be not just their own personal vote. But actually speaking for the student body and I suppose the same would go for teacher vote as well. If we know ahead of schedule, what we're voting on then at a staff meeting or whatever, we could get that opinion. So it's not just the, the staff member voting for whatever they want.

Jenna Robertson: Great, thanks for that Nick. I think that makes a lot of sense, especially when it comes to the student and I agree. I think it's important that a variety of different students, get a chance to come to this this form. So, I've made note of that. All right, anybody else? Any further comments before we move?

00:05:00

Jenna Robertson: Second item, which is election of executive positions.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, so we do have a vacant position still for secretary. Is there anybody that would like to step forward? We will keep asking as long as the position is vacant.

Jenna Robertson: It's always a good time to sign up. We've got Jenna. Oh, and kind of sorry, Jenna's coin, kind of managing two rules with secretary and treasure. So

Sui Ling: Uh, yeah sure. So we're looking at approving the this today's agenda. I think it was emailed out as well as the last minutes meeting, which we used as the transcribe version versus the condensed version. I guess the show of hands on approving, both the agenda and the minutes.

Sui Ling: Okay.

Sui Ling: And I got a thumbs up, too. So I am going to say, count, one, two, three, four, five. And I'm gonna say, Both the agenda for today and the last minute meetings have been approved.

Jenna Robertson: Awesome. Thanks, Sui Ling. My parents just derived, so my dog is going nuts. Okay, so the next item is the student report. So today we have both Devin and Ethan joining us, welcome to both of you and please feel free to get started.

ETHAN ABEL: All right, so, um, I'll be talking about the athletic and the arts. So, um, for athletics the girls and boys volleyball season for the, intermediates has ended. There were some tournaments and the girls came third of five. Boys, Basketball Club twice a week. Basketball season for intermediates is starting in the triple ball for the juniors in February, and Intermediate Girls, Open Gym on Fridays. For the Arts Will Jams concert on January 23rd for kindergarten to grade, four students plus kids. From the three specialized program classes choir practice will resume in February with a concert in the spring. A new members are welcome. Violin club. Band continues to meet Monday at recess. The rehearsing two new songs, and

ETHAN ABEL: New members have joined since the December concert Ukulele Club. Meets on Thursday.

DEVEN GILL: Hello everyone. I will be talking about student leadership and under the category of other. So we have beyond differences has been decorating the hall and making announcements for different celebrations. Student Council on hold as when I'm LeClaire is still a way but she is back. We will have another one I believe next Tuesday. We have new, we have upcoming Spirit days, we have Twin Day on January 27th or just like a teacher day, popcorn days are run by the seven Eights, black. Excellent clubs spearheaded announcements for Black Excellence Day. January 19th. Lincoln Alexander Day and January 21st. Will now focus on activities, to outreach for Black History Month. Intermediate, both boat races challenge to design and build a cardboard boat, which would meet specific criteria. Hold weight rich, distance design, and construction etc.

DEVEN GILL: Students had a blast putting to the test their boats last Wednesday. Three days of dance. Workshops for the, intermediates on, January 24th. 25th 26th, Mac skimming for grade sevens on February 27th and 28th. Taekwondo workshops or appreciated by all intermediates. Grade 12 seven and eight will be attending the Technology and Trades activity day at otss January 26th. Grade eight parent information nights for Sir Will SS and otss our February 2nd and 8th respectfully. Sir, Will SS did

a presentation to grade eight students about, upcoming course, selection and high school options on January 23rd. Grade 9 Course. Selection is due February 16th. Thank you.

00:10:00

Jenna Robertson: Thanks very much to both of you. Really appreciate you are sharing all that's going on at the school right now. It sounds like there's lots of activities going on for just about every grade. I know my son in the background just heard Taekwondo was really jealous, the intermediate so thanks very much. Does it have any questions?

Jenna Robertson: No. All right, you guys are welcome to stay but I know we've probably got a lot in the go. So I understand if you've got a duck out too. And thanks very much for coming. Next, the teachers report I guess I'd be unique.

Nik Cotter: Yeah, thank you. And thank you to Ethan in Deven for, for taking this on. It's a, it's a big commitment to to speak to, to all of the, the parents, and and staff. So thank you very much for for taking that on. We, we know you do a great job and you did

Nik Cotter: And it's also less for the teacher rep to have to say, which is fantastic. So just add on to what the guys were talking about there. So schoolwide we've had some activities going on. Of course the the food drive that happened in December, brought in thousands of food donations and cash donations as well. There storm, of course, that we had that last week before, we went to the break, shut things down a little bit. So the food did get picked up just in January here. And it's very appreciated. Of course there's also a kindness campaign that has been been going on and we're really focusing on kindness. That's a big focus of Mr. Ronald in particular so she's been working with a variety of different classes and I think we're seeing some of that already just in the ways that kids are talking to each other and problem solving when they are in conflict.

Nik Cotter: Um, in terms of professional development, there was the PD day, of course last week. So teachers are working on writing the term, one report cards as always. We're really focusing on next step for students. So looking at where they are right now and what families can do to help students move forward, and we always recommend that parents. Look at the learning skills because that is the stuff that students can change, even the very next day at school, they can, you know, focus on their organization, their initiative, their responsibility. So we really like parents to focus on those aspects of the report card.

Nik Cotter: We have a staff book club that is continuing which is shifting the balance. And that one is about literacy instruction and phonemic awareness big focus of of the school board and of the Ministry of Education right now. So that's continuing in our kindergarten worlds, other than snow pants taking forever to put on and off. Of course, that's kinder life. In winter lunch, time helpers have started. So they've got a variety of kids who are going in every day, just help it opening up containers and having little chats with kids while they're eating and they're also doing reading buddies as well, which is going on, not just for kindergarten, but for some of our, our primary and other classes as well,

Nik Cotter: In our special education classes, student ambassadors are doing a great job of helping and playing with students, in our autism classes at recess. I know many of our students in the specialized classes, really seek out their their buddies to go play tag and other sorts of things. So it's really nice to see that that connection between between our students in the regular stream and in the autism. And also, there is going to be a middle of the year dibels, which is again looking at Pennymac awareness. So that's going to be happening for many of our classes. Just to see where students were at the beginning of the year where they are now and, and where we're ending up at the end of the year and everything else. Yeah, Devin and Ethan have already mentioned. So, thank you very much again.

Jenna Robertson: Great, thanks for that Nick. And we are actually just cruising through the agenda tonight. And does anybody have any comments or any questions so far? Of course, my dog wants to bark again.

Stuart van Oostveen: Thanks Jenna. Thanks, Nick as well. And thank you, Devin and Ethan. I just want to add on a little bit, so Devon and Ethan mentioned, there's a trip to otss that's Ottawa technical skills. I think. And I can't remember exactly what stands for, but it's a technical high school and there was supposed to been a trip tomorrow, but they've

00:15:00

Stuart van Oostveen: The postponed it because of anticipating buses canceled tomorrow. So it's already been canceled and they wanted to make sure that it's all going to be really, really excellent. And we're we have a whole bunch of students in grade

seven and eight going to check it out. It's, they've got some really amazing programs there. So we're excited about that opportunity. And we've also booked skills, Ontario to come and visit our school and a few weeks to work with a great seven and eight students, because there's some really neat opportunities that's that students can learn about in the trades, and, and using technology, even if they end up, you know, going to university and end up being engineers or something. It's still really neat, kind of stuff. So we want our students to to understand all the different options that are available for possible careers and I think it's a neat and neat opportunity for them to learn about that. I want to share another piece of news so there is we just found out today. There is a webinar for school council members and

Stuart van Oostveen: Search taking place in February the 8th. I'll send this out to all of you. It's it's Lisa, Ann Palmer, is the founder and the CEO of Light, your leadership incorporated. She's an international bestselling author and she's going to be delivering a keynote address at the creating an atmosphere of belonging at the school council table. So, that's taking place, it's a zoom meeting. It's on February, the 8th from 6 until 8 pm, and there's a registration process. So I'll send that out to all of you. I can actually see if I can Copy the link into the messages. I don't know if this will work, I'm gonna try it.

Stuart van Oostveen: Now that no it's not gonna work that you the URL. Didn't go along with it, but I'll send it out to all of you after the meeting. If you'd like to, if anybody would like to attend Also, Nik talked about our focus on literacy at school this year, and it's absolutely a board initiative. And, and there's As a school, I think one of our really, really strong intentions is to make sure that there's not a single student in our school that isn't able to read. So, even for our students, in our, in our classes with autism, we've got different interventions and some of them are working on, you know, verbal communication. But some of them who have that variable communication are also starting to work on some of the reading skills as well as Jenna can attest to and there's some class. So we want to make sure that those are the opportunities for all kids. So we we have we call them.

Stuart van Oostveen: I'm a tiered intervention process, so it's like a triangle. The base of the triangle is is all the reading strategies that we put in place for all of our kids in the regular classroom. And for some students, we know they need a little bit of extra. So some students also get some other interventions that still take place in the classroom and we're using a program called lexia. And that's supporting teachers to to help give students extra experience developing their their word recognition strategies. And then, for some other students, we find that they really need intensive intensive support and those students are pulled out and they work with them. with either Miss themes or or misclaman and they, they deliver a program called Empower and Empower is a program that's been developed by By.

Stuart van Oostveen: Reading specialists language and communication, specialist speech, language pathologist at the university at, well, the University of Toronto and at Six Children's Hospital in Toronto as well and it's a program that's now in gaining international recognition. It's really excellent. It is a scripted program, but it's very, it's, very excellent for students with students have tend to have good comprehension skills. They understand things, but but they have difficulty with the decoding process. So we used to call that kind of profile, sometimes we call it dyslexia. So it's really excellent for students with, with that kind of profile. Where they, they have difficulty matching the the letter symbols to the sounds that that they need to know. And it's also understanding the SAMs to some people struggle, a bit with hearing and distinguishing the different sounds. And that's what we talk about anemic awareness. It's the sounds that we're talking about. So making sure that we can intervene that way helping with student recognition of what I've worse, what we're all. So working on

Stuart van Oostveen: One is. Is not just not just those foundational. Literacy skills with word recognition and sight word recognition but also helping kids with their comprehension strategies and that that especially is important. All the way up to grade 12, really, and even its university learning to understand the background knowledge that you need to have developing vocabulary. And as a primarily EFL school, we want to make sure that we're developing students vocabulary in both languages, especially French, which is the second language for most of our kids. So, working on vocabulary development and having students, really develop oral strong. Oral language skills is underpinning for all of that, Good work with reading and with writing eventually too. So that that talk about focus on oral language skills is something that we're going to be really engaging in at summer side as well over the next the next year.

00:20:00

Stuart van Oostveen: All right, so and Angela, I think, Angela's gonna talk about the kindness campaign, but also some of the work and how it links, how it links with student voice and students oral expression as well. So I'm gonna pass it over to Angela.

Angela Ronald: So, I'm starting a

Angela Ronald: Project, I guess if you want to call it that with different classes in the school to build oral language skills and we're we're going to use something that I used to call accountable talk, but I think you can. Also call it talk moves and their sentence starters for giving kids and opportunity to get into a conversation. So things like I agree with what you're saying because I disagree with you because I heard what you said, Can you repeat what you said. So it helps kids find an entry point into a conversation, so we're going to be practicing that in circles. So talking about topics. We have there's some posters. I don't know if you've heard of unlearn posters but they have very provocative images on them that are supposed to make people stop and think about those images and they have to do

Angela Ronald: Gender identity. They have to do with Racism. And they're really good talking points for kids and their they have really powerful messages to them. so introducing some of those things into the classroom using these talk moves and these restorative practices are Stuart not restorative practices these some Accountable, talk prompts to try and get the kids into the conversations. I'm also using something called the fryer, the fryer.

Angela Ronald: Anyway, it looks like that.

Stuart van Oostveen: Prayer charts. Yeah.

Angela Ronald: Yes, that's the fryer chart so it looks like this. I don't know if you can see it. So it's a good way of teaching vocabulary.

Angela Ronald: You can see it or not, so you have the word and then you have the definition, the characteristics of what you were trying to explain and then non-examples and examples. So it's really good for visual learners and any kind of learner, but it kind of touches on a different types of learning styles to really in bed. What what the meaning of that word is and so building vocabulary also because kids are so used to talking on little not even talking really texting on tell on phones. Now they're, we want to build that vocabulary and in building vocabulary because when we talk about student voice and how important it is to have student voice, that's all. So important, that they have, the oral language skills, in order to have that voice and vocabulary is a big part of that as well. It, you know, a strong vocabulary helps you to express yourself more effectively, so that's just part of the initiative that I'm working on at the school right now.

Angela Ronald: Thank you.

Jenna Robertson: Great thanks. Both to Stuart & Angela for the updates. A lot of them really interesting stuff going on. So Angela at the last program that you're talking about, is that, like School-wide? So I might have missed that part.

Angela Ronald: I'm I'm sort of working with a couple of classes in the school right now classes that I feel could really benefit from this type of type of program. And then, you know, maybe if it's not so time-consuming, I can branch it out to other class or other teachers, can take the reins and, and do it on the, you know, do it themselves as well in their classroom. So we could bring it up at staff meetings. If you're interested in this, I've been working on this, maybe you could take that model and work on it with your own classroom.

Jenna Robertson: Gotcha. Thank you. Yeah, I was just, I was just curious more than anything. Any questions for Stuart or Angela?

00:25:00

Jenna Robertson: All right. Well, thank you to you both. Moving on to Treasure Jenna.

Jenna AuCoin: Okay, so I deposited the check for pizza in December. We finally got access to the bank account and after many Many phone calls and meetings. All three of us now have access to the bank account. Um, and wouldn't you know, I left the statement at school today. So we are just over 30k that I know for sure. We're just over 30,000, but not, all of that is profit yet. We still have about another 950 to a thousand dollars to spend on pizza for the month of January and February. So that would put us you know, twenty eight five to twenty nine. And besides that, we had a refund of 2925 for a student that just left, but we also had a student join late. So we got a payment of 2275 so they almost equal out.

Jenna AuCoin: And suing at one point wanted me to talk about the fundraising goals. Do you want to do that now?

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, you might as well.

Jenna AuCoin: Okay, so it's is it for approval or is it just Confirming that everyone's still, okay, with what we did last year.

Sui Ling: Um, I think it's the firm.

Jenna Robertson: But yeah, I think that was the sorry. Go ahead swing.

Sui Ling: Sorry, I think it was just to confirm that we're still okay with the percentages of what we raise in how we're going to spend and save.

Jenna AuCoin: Okay. So um yeah, as agreed last year, we have a 50/30/20 fundraising plan. 50% of our funds. This year are going to be going towards short-term which means that we're giving back this year in an event or to community. 30% is a medium term which we typically spend on teachers, wish lists and 20% goes towards our long-term project. So that would be the goal that we are moving forward with as long as there is consensus.

Jenna Robertson: So, do you want to raise your hand if you? I guess, agree.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, so I think we've reached consensus, perfect.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, did anybody have any comments on that?

Jenna Robertson: Okay, we have it. I was gonna say we could talk about the play structure, but we have an actual agenda item for that later. So we can touch on that when we want to talk about long-term spending. Okay, so social media update. Don't think we have anybody here to speak to that specifically tonight. So, we can move on to the next item.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, so fundraising I guess that would be me so yeah. You Jenna was talking about the check that we got. From school cash online that we were able to deposit which is awesome. So now that the pizza program is back in business, you know, we brought in I think something like 21,000 for the school. Like it was pretty significant, so it was awesome. And that was after, we had raised the price, I think last time maybe it was like 250 to 325. And we had agreed last. The last meeting that we would kind of revisit that price, if it was an issue or if we had received a lot of feedback from whether it was parents or teachers and I had just spoken to Stuart quickly about it the other day and I don't think you've received too many complaints about pricing.

Jenna Robertson: Which is, which is good news. So we were looking at continuing on with the pizza program. So this will be another item for action that will need consensus on to move forward, but we'd like to do another term of pizza, so that would be from March 21st to June 20th. So that would be 14 weeks. Again, three to three dollars and 25 cents a slice, whether that's cheese or pepperoni, we thought we'd go with Domino's again and this is just because it's easy at this point in the year, everything's kind of moving. Flowing. Well with the pizza program on Tuesdays and we thought if we wanted to we could revisit the vendor in the fall but I think it's just easier at this point to carry on things have been going well, We would do school cash online but we had also been talking about maybe distributing a paper flyer. I think Simon official on the call we were talking about maybe

Jenna Robertson: Doing some printouts like doing two per sheets. So we could easily split that in a half, because I guess it was Simon's. Experience that you get more piece of orders if you have flowers that go home. And I know that they've done that in the past too. I think we were just really rushing to get it up and running in November. So we were just kind of flung by this even more pants in the last one. So that's something that we're gonna look at doing. So the cash online deadline would be March 3rd.

00:30:00

Jenna Robertson: yeah, so we would just be a little bit more clear and explicit in communication to parents this time about Things like refunds snow days absences and things like that. Basically that you know, you pay the fee for the term and you don't get your money back. And that's how we've operated in the past, you know, and wouldn't say in those words but we've got proper wording that we've used in the past. So yeah, can we need to discuss consensus? So please raise your hand, if you agree with that, going for it.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, that was easy. Really quick consensus. So, We're good to move forward with pizza for a term too.

Jenna Robertson: Thanks everybody.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, pretty Sima. Are you available to quickly chat about that? Thank you.

Saaimah Malik: Very quickly, let me share parties we've done the chocolates. Before I have some dates and deadlines, I can actually cut and paste in the comment section. So it's the deadline the latest deadline to kind of submit The orders would be March 27th which I guess we're like end of January right now so it would be a good time to kind of put it out. Pretty soon just because we get March break in there as well. So if we can kind of in the next week or so kind of put out some flyers and start advertising it in the parent.

Saaimah Malik: Updates. That is if everybody. Is in agreement, on wanting to do this. We can go ahead and do it.

Jenna Robertson: Great. Thank you Sima. I recall correctly. I think when the Purdy's campaigns have been really successful it brings into like a few thousand dollars for the school which is pretty decent. We did it last year. Do we do it twice last year, just the one time? Yeah, and...

Saaimah Malik: Just the one time I think.

Jenna Robertson: I think we found that Christmas. Uptake was a bit low but Easter seemed to be a really big hit. Yes. Yeah. Becky. So it would be for timing for Easter and the great thing is that we could have it delivered to the school this year which is awesome because we've had issues with Covid last time for delivery so we could probably just arrange the sorting to happen there. And then the chocolates could get delivered to The classrooms. So, Yeah, let's take a consensus right now, whether or not we want to move forward with the Purdy's campaign. Use your hand.

Jenna Robertson: Awesome. Reach Consensus Really quickly. You guys are on the ball tonight.

Sui Ling: Sorry so much. I just had a question. What is the delivery date for? This for parties.

Saaimah Malik: So the delivery date, I will not be able to find out and tell we submit our order. so, I guess I can kind of speak to the fundraising committee...

Sui Ling: Okay.

Saaimah Malik: if that's okay with everybody else and kind of go through with them, it'll obviously be delivered. Let me just double check here. Delivery dates are anywhere between March 6th and March 31st so definitely well before Easter or two weeks before Easter right?

Jenna Robertson: Perfect. Okay. Great. Yeah, so we'll move forward with that. And I mean, we do have this the fundraising subcommittee but I don't want to say it. It fell by the wayside but we did. Kind of decide. We were going to take on bigger fundraisers this year just because there was only really a handful of us that were on the committee. So from a fundraising perspective going for for the rest of the year, we've got a few things on the go. We have. Things in the background that maybe we can just remind parents of periodically, like, Mabel's labels, the flip give those are things that we're already signed up for, and take no effort from us going forward. So we can continue to advertise those. But as far as taking on any more big fundraisers to sign up for like a campaign, we Kind of decided that we would just stick to these ones. So Any more comments on fundraising before we talk about spending?

00:35:00

Jenna Robertson: Okay. And all right, so we have a few ideas. So as Jenna mentioned, There's 50% of our fundraising is a lot of for short-term spending. So we realized that now that we have no worries, Andrea. We realize now that we have, you know, thirty thousand dollars sitting in the bank roughly it's time to start spending some of that money. So a few things that we kind of talked about. Spending money on and all these, all of these things are for discussion. Obviously, um, Of course, there's Summerfest so many of you know, we've done that in the past we talked about it a little bit at the last meeting specifically about how much work it entails. And the amount of time that we would need to get that up and running.

Jenna Robertson: So if we wanted to pursue Summerfest at this point as a council we would need first and foremost someone to step up and kind of raise their hand and say that they want to lead it and because we would need a separate committee. So we're already end of January at this point. We've only got Yeah, so we've only got a good four. Four and a half months left to pull that off. So I guess if there's anybody now that's willing to step forward, I know what it is. A lot of work. It's a lot of fun for the school and, and the community as well, but we are running short on time. And Sui Ling. Was there anything else you wanted to add about Summerfest?

Sui Ling: I can't think of everything to add. It's just like you mentioned. It is an excellent, a community event, especially for the younger grades. It's a great way for everyone to meet other, you know, all the students, all the parents and But it is a lot of work to start. Now, even if you have someone to step up to lead it, you would need volunteers to help organize on the same day of like, parents teachers and whatnot as well as committee members to help. Organized to support the lead.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah. So um and if we didn't carry on Summerfest, we kind of came up with a few other ideas that might be nice. We could, you know, easily pull off a movie night. Maybe sometime end of April to early. May we talked about maybe even doing like a Meet the teacher and Parent Council event. So I'm kind of doing like a community barbecue right before meet the teacher night, so families can show up to the school and the barbecue and then head on and head on to meet the teacher after. So that would be, you know, early to mid September. Um, yeah, there's a whole bunch of other things. How do we want to go through this listing? Do we want to?

Jenna Robertson: just rhyme off one by one or or Jenna. Do you have any thoughts and how we want to do this?

Jenna AuCoin: I would see first and foremost, if anyone's interested in leaving Summerfest before we. Go through it and...

Sui Ling: Agree.

Jenna AuCoin: I know that like Jenna Sue Ling and I have talked that neither of us are willing to lead it, but I, I know, I would be more than interested in playing a big role in it. I just don't want to be the Leader of it. So if anybody else is interested in Helping lead it. We just need just a little bit of interest. It would really be a good event. Okay, I'll leave it to the I'll leave it now.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, so going once, going twice Sima is that you Or did she take her? Okay. Sorry I thought you raise your hand. Chucks. Okay, so I guess Summerfest is probably a no-go at this point. So we can talk about maybe doing movie night then for the school, which is again, I think in the past all the council have to do is buy the DVD and it was, I know 20 to 30 dollars, maybe if it wasn't even that much, so it's pretty low cost event and the kids get really excited about doing movie night at school. Um,

Jenna Robertson: okay. So in terms

Jenna AuCoin: Up sorry, I'm jumping in we would like we would then have like we would need to spend 50% of what we profit. So like,

00:40:00

Jenna Robertson: This time, you can go ahead and chime in if you want. Simon just put her name for potentially leading Summerfest. But she would need a little bit of time to get a crew together and obviously, she can't do it by yourself. So, if, is there any interest from anybody else in council? Because Jenna kind of said, she would be happy to be involved.

Jenna Robertson: I don't mind being involved in the community for Summerfest so that would make three of us. But I think we would need a little bit more.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, so Becky. Yeah. That's great. So that's for Sima. We have four of us.

Saaimah Malik: I'm so sorry, guys. It's like, not even a great time that I'm like, chiming in, but I'm like, typing, super slow. I'm mad at that. Um, yeah, I would love to I know that I do have a couple of other moms at the school and maybe I can recruit some people. It is a lot of work. I truly understand that, but it would be so great. I think any event at the end of it would be amazing. I'm just to kind of get the community together. So if I could get like maybe have a day or two, maybe to the end of the week, to kind of see if

we can get some good ideas rolling and get. Get yeah, it'll be fun. It'll be fun. So yeah, if I can get some of that kind of going and let's see what a couple weeks kind of gets us. Yeah.

Jenna Robertson: I think that sounds like a good plan. Nick has his hand raised.

Nik Cotter: Yeah, we just sort of thinking that if there I think it's great that there's that there's parents who are, who are interested in bringing it back, it was such an awesome event. I think my two cents is that given the amount of this stuff that there is to organize for it, maybe in the next couple of weeks, or or before that February meeting, if if people can reach out to some, some vendors and activities and just see what would even what the potential is to, to be able to set up what costs are now, what with everything costing more, it might give a little bit of a baseline and then maybe at the February meeting, a decision can be made like Do we actually pursue this and put more energy into it or or, you know maybe put it on hold for the next year but if there's enough interest and people can find those things like bouncy castles or maybe not dunk tanks. I don't think those are allowed anymore but all those kind of Stuart saying No no dunk tanks, all those kind of fun activities and

Nik Cotter: Just people who used to show up food trucks, all that kind of stuff. Maybe it could still work. Yeah.

Jenna Robertson: That's an excellent point. Yeah I think that's a really good idea and perhaps the few of us that have kind of put our names for it Sima. I can send you a list of everybody that said that they would help out. So if also that I can send you after the meeting and then we can discuss what the plan is between. Now we do have a list of meetings to propose for a list of dates for coming meetings to propose we have one tentatively scheduled for February 22nd. That needs to reach consensus here tonight so that would give us maybe a month or so to figure out whether or not we could. Actually pull it off. Okay.

Jenna Robertson: Great. Well yeah.

Sui Ling: I'm sorry Becky. You had a question. Yeah, you

Rebecca Stanicic: I was just going to say yes and all that because we have to figure out you write the costs of probably all gone out for all of our like, old Excel sheets. Because we've done this before like Andrea's Suleim, this others. I'm sure when we did it, we have their some Excel sheet somewhere but the I think the biggest thing is a date because when we go out to vendors, some will be available in some won't based on date. Specifically. And the other thing is I think I mean I know in my case I definitely have two teens that would help, but I suspect that there's often multiple teams from Sir Will that are looking for hours when the volunteer time comes as well. So there's a little bit of that.

Jenna Robertson: Okay great. So I guess also netlist here, after Simon, and then we can take it from there. Awesome and thanks for stopping forward.

Jenna Robertson: Yes.

Jenna Robertson: Okay? And then so another thing we talked about was a teacher's wish list. So I have to be honest, I didn't know that this was a thing because this is my my second year in council, but I don't think we talked about this much last year. Is there anybody here? That can kind of shed some light on what the teachers wish list is and and how we go about organizing that?

00:45:00

Jenna Robertson: Go ahead, Stuart.

Stuart van Oostveen: Well, I think what typically happens is at least I think we did this a little bit last year or the year before is I I go to the staff and I say, Hey, we're looking to compile a wish list to bring to school council. And we want to make sure that we're because the money is brought in by all of the families at school. We want to make sure that we're really spending them, the money equitably between students in all the classes. So We want to make sure that it's kind of. Spread out in for different projects or different events or whatever that might be if it's um to support in school performances or trips or enhance, it has to be enhancements to the curriculum. It can't be basic stuff for curricula, but there's a lot of stuff that fits into that and I know we've been talking about

Stuart van Oostveen: Building up our robotics and our coding materials at school and maybe, you know, boosting our maker space and even things like cooking and stuff like that. All of which are enhancements. So, These are some ideas and so I'm I'm hoping that I can talk to the staff over the next few weeks. And then for the February meeting, come to you guys with a, a rich list that we would hope that you would support

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, that would be excellent. I'd love to hear what the teachers are kind of eager to, to spend some money on. Yes, we look forward to hearing about that at the next meeting. Hopefully, We have the great leaving ceremony on here. I know it's a little bit early because we're just end of January, but I know we typically spend some money on like a sign and the exterior of the school

Jenna Robertson: I think there was some other things that we spent on last year as well. So there's that we can potentially look at for short-term and then there's also giving back to the community. So we talked about giving some funds to our sister school. So it's a Carson Grove again this year. If I'm not mistaking Stuart we can forget. And then we also talked about donating some money to the Education Foundation of Ottawa. And if there's other suggestions, you're welcome to raise them here.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah. Is there anything else that anybody thought about spending some funds on short-term?

Jenna Robertson: We don't necessarily have to vote on anything right now or reach consensus, but again, we can bring this back at the next meeting and talk about that. We do have between now and in June, obviously. So And I guess put your thinking caps on.

Jenna Robertson: Andrea.

Andrea Gordon: I was just wondering, Do you guys? I can't remember what it was last year. June do have a percentage of how much we give to like back to the community. How much we give to the wish list and I just can't remember from past years. What it was

Jenna Robertson: Oh, I oh sorry. Go ahead, Jenna.

Jenna AuCoin: so if it's 50, 30, 20, 50 For short term, which would be like Summerfest giving back to the community and grad. 30% is Teachers Wish list and I think maybe medium term is grad to let me see. Sorry, my sons in the background on Minecraft. um,

Andrea Gordon: So if if we didn't do Summerfest and you guys have 50%, giving back to the community, would all that money be going to the community. I just want to make sure that parents are aware that like if they're fundraising that, they know that maybe that amount is not necessarily going right back to the school that it's going to other organizations that they didn't know. Because 50 seems like a lot to me, if it all ended up going to, to community organizations, if we didn't spend it on other stuff.

Jenna AuCoin: Yeah, that was the point. I was trying to get to with If we were gonna do a movie night, we would look at probably spending a little bit more money on it than the 2030 dollars. Probably pizza popcorn tried because like you know, 50% of our short-term is supposed to go back to students at Summerside this year. So if Summerfest didn't happen, it would have to be A bigger. Community event, not as big as Summerfest but like a bigger movie night and maybe even multiple ones, maybe even some of that money would go towards like a barbecue in September.

Jenna Robertson: Becky.

00:50:00

Rebecca Stanisc: Jenna said I was just going to say it. Sounds like some of the money that doesn't go to Summerfest, was going to be transfer, potentially to a September. Welcome barbecue, which, you know, actually might end up costing just as much, or more than summerfest, just because of the food costs, like, if there's a coverage there, so there there might be a little bit of of overage anyway, which I think again. Probably depends on what the Yes, No ways for Summerfest. And then what if you want to do that, still, what if Summerfest goes ahead and you'll want to plan for the welcome barbecue, for some get together. So,

Jenna Robertson: Neck.

Nik Cotter: So, maybe Andrea, maybe you can just clarify for me because I might have misunderstood you. I was kind of understanding your question. I mean, you know, if we look at the, the 100% of the funds raised in a year, we know, 20% is going into long term storage for for school improvement. This other 80% is medium and short-term within that there is these donations, to Carson grow to education foundation. Those being so completely separate from Summerside still, very important donations. I think to me, my understanding from Andrea's question is just really getting kind of a number of percentage on how much money do we put towards education Foundation and Carson grow because I could see some parents saying, Well, that money is not. Spent on my kids.

Andrea Gordon: Yeah, that was more my question just because it was kind of bundled in with the the 50%. So my only my only thought along those lines was. Yes, I think we need to obviously give back to the community but if we don't do all that other stuff and we're seeing we're giving back to the community. How much money are we actually giving outside of the school? And how much are we actually keeping within in the school? That was my, my only clarification. Thank you.

Jenna Robertson: Stuart, are you able to speak to like the amount of funds that go to the sister school? For example, I know you said we we gave some to Carson Grove as well last year.

Stuart van Oostveen: Yeah, I was looking for those records and I don't see any records that we actually did 70 to Carson Grove so I'll have it been more of a look. But I looked at copies of the School Council bank account and I didn't see a check to them and I know I'm quite certain that we didn't issue the check from that. There wasn't money. That was given back to the school that we issued a check. So I'll have another look at that just to make sure I looked at it pretty quickly but I don't think we actually gave any money to Carson Grove last year but we didn't raise that much money last year either. So and then, you know that 50% I maybe we need to kind of break that down a bit more and say. So this is how much is gonna be for You know, giving back to the community, our own community at Summerside and this is how much we're going to be using for, for supporting other. You know, the community, maybe in a larger sense.

Stuart van Oostveen: So we're really clear about that because Angela's, absolutely right. We need to be clear about where our money is going away. Raise money from from families that I try to put that in the communications. And I think I've said it but I think it's probably good if we actually see you know percentages and and at the end of the year, we want to say amounts too. Right? So

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, and I think if I'm not mistaken last year, we had done some newsletters from our social media subcommittee. And I think they had even announced at one point that we had a sister school and at some of the funds. Yeah, we're planning. Yeah. So I remember there was some communication whether or...

Stuart van Oostveen: Yeah.

Jenna Robertson: the parents are looking at. It is another issue, but I know that last year we had done that. So, yeah. And and I perhaps I I wasn't clear on the spending portion. Yes. Tonight, we're kind of just spitballing ideas and perhaps next meeting, especially after this potential summerfest committee meets, we can be come up with something more concrete in terms of the spending categories. And like you said, percentage going to each one

Jenna Robertson: Any other comments on the spending, we have one more to talk about. One more long-term spending, but anything on the short term to medium, anyone else wants to raise tonight?

Jenna Robertson: Okay. And so oh,

Jenna AuCoin: I was just gonna propose, maybe we, I was just gonna propose, maybe we do 10% of short. Well, I'm 10% of The raised profits overall and 5% goes to each one. Five percent goes to Carson Grove and 5% goes to efo.

Jenna AuCoin: I don't know if that's too high or too low.

00:55:00

Jenna Robertson: Becky.

Jenna Robertson: I think they're 5% going to both makes a lot of sense. Jenna. Did anybody else have any comments on that part?

Jenna Robertson: It's a good starting point, I think. And perhaps we can come back at the next meeting and like I said, come back with more of a concrete breakdown for every category. And then at the same time, we will know whether or not Summerfest will be going forward.

Jenna Robertson: Um, okay, so moving on to the, um, the next item. So outdoor play structure. So, there's been a lot of talk, obviously last year, especially about raising money, a significant amount of money for the long term goal of the place structure. And this year, we've had a lot of different ideas about what that should look like. And whether or not a larger playground structure is still the way forward for the school. I know there's a few people that have step forward with some ideas about what we could do. The main reason why is because the playground structure is so costs prohibited last year, some of you may recall. We spoke to the ocdsb kind of roughly to get some ideas and it was basically saying, You need at least 60,000 before we can even start planning any sort of large structure, and just to clarify right now, we've got about 20, grand set aside, in addition to that, 30,000 that Jenna was talking about. So,

Jenna Robertson: 30 that's 20 grand set aside for the structure but I was also told really and truly nothing is nothing comes under a hundred thousand in terms of these structures. So and these are all costs that were estimated before covid before the cost of materials all went up. You know, the cost of asphalt steel, all of that stuff. So, you know, we'd probably be looking at. I'm gonna say at least double so, in order to actually,

Jenna Robertson: Go ahead and come up with something to put outside on the play yard. Um, other people, come up with different ideas of maybe spending the money that we have now on something that's, not a massive play structure but something that could be more of like a landscaping idea. Something that offers shade or like, more seating something that is accessible to more kids too because not, you know, not every kid uses the play structure that was also brought up. So it's here for discussion tonight. Again, we don't I'm not sure are we looking to to get consensus on anything I'm missing tonight. Or just to introduce the different kind of idea of spending the money now versus 10 years from now.

Sui Ling: I don't think we were looking for consensus is just, you know, letting everybody know that. There is only \$20,000 raised so far for this, this outdoor play structure and a minimum of a hundred thousand dollars before we can actually start looking at actually purchasing something from the School Boards catalog. at this rate,...

Jenna Robertson: Yeah.

Sui Ling: we may not Get it anywhere close to thinking about buying it for only raised \$20,000 in the past.

Jenna Robertson: Angela.

Angela Ronald: I don't know the cost of this, but I was thinking, What about Like a garden in the school in the back, like a vegetable flower garden. That would be In like you put a fence around it, but large and But there's so many great, great learning Opportun. Use for all kids to participate in taking care of a garden. So, I don't know if that's just something that we could think about. I again, I have no idea how much that would cost, but I think that there's so so much greatness in that that it might be something we could consider.

Jenna Robertson: I love that idea. Go ahead.

Stuart van Oostveen: We put together a garden at my the school. I was At, let me see, 10 years ago, my first school where was a? Principal in Mississauga and we did get a lot of money from From a public health appeal, public health. And we also raised some money, but we did it under. I think we did it under \$8,000, so we call correctly. We also got some donations some donations too. So we and we counted that as part of the, the contributions to. So it was, it was really worthwhile and lots of lots of parents, involvement and student involvement as well. We kept going vegetables and and some parents actually helped harvest some of the vegetables and then we'd have, you know, enough enough vegetables for salad for the whole school. One year we made soup for the whole school so it was kind of fun. The kids are busy, busy busy doing all that food, preparation, too. So lots of fun.

01:00:00

Jenna Robertson: Wow, that's so cool. Nick

Nik Cotter: Yeah we're just gonna mention we have there is an organization here in ago called Growing up organic that partners with our school board, fairly often. So what they do is they they basically come in, they help you plan and build raised garden, beds using using the appropriate materials and then they'll work with kids on what to plant, how to plant it, how to maintain it. There is some I think it might even come through the Education Foundation, but I'm not sure about that. So they they we have actually looked at that in the past. One of the the things that they do require is some sort of a plan for how the gardens will be maintained particularly when we're looking at vegetables, because the height of the growing season is when the schools are empty. So that can be a little bit of an issue. Certainly, if we're doing cooler season vegetables, lettuces that sort of thing or fall crops, there are some options but it does help. I know if they have an idea of who

Nik Cotter: Would be maintaining those gardens over over the summertime. So something that's certainly, we could we could look at and, and put in place probably without too, too much effort, because we do have this, this organization, we can partner with

Jenna Robertson: Now that's awesome. Thanks for that information. I've made note of that, I've really loved the idea of some sort of garden. Like you're saying Angela give so many learning opportunities and for kids of all ages even the kinders can get involved and Nick is growing up organic. So do they take care of the like, Sorry what is the role in addition to the like the education piece and teaching? Do they all? So help get the supplies or how does that work?

Nik Cotter: Yeah, I believe that they'll help you source the supplies right down to the, You know, Non-pressure treated lumber to, to build the beds, they'll come in and help you design them. Figure out where they're going to go on the property. So there's a lot of the planning and logistics side and then, yeah, I I can, I can look back into it. It's been a few years since I've looked at the at the organization. We had originally considered it actually and like you're one or two of summer side, but then you know everything else happens. So we put that one aside for a little bit but we can certainly look into what the the options are. So I'm happy to connect back with them and see where things are at with that organization.

Jenna Robertson: That'd be awesome. Becky.

Rebecca Stanisic: Do we know if there's rules of use of space? Like, are we able to take over a bunch of Space to do it.

Jenna Robertson: Stuart.

Stuart van Oostveen: Yeah, I can answer that. So we do have a plan for our big field and we have to keep space for potential portables in the future. And we need to make maintain the, you know, the soccer field. But there is an area that's allocated, where we could have, put the playground, and I think we've also the outdoor classroom with the The Circle of rocks. So there's spots. There's there's, we have to stick with those plans, but there are spots on our on our field where we could do that.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, great. Yeah. So if Nick you wouldn't mind maybe connecting with them and maybe we can bring it up for the next meeting for discussion. Thank you for that. That

Jenna Robertson: Would be, does anybody have any more comments on the outdoor play structure? I guess we should stop calling it that maybe the outdoor learning feature or land. Not even landscaping. Andrea.

Andrea Gordon: I was just going to say to like, I know in the past. We had thought about allocating, if we weren't gonna do a giant play structure, then some money to allocate to needed things in the gymnasium, like we had started to buy. I think we got the curtains, or was it the lights Nick? I don't remember. But then we never got the other of those. So if we're not gonna put all over eggs in the schoolyard basket, then maybe we can talk about doing other things that the school needs, that could be very useful for long-term project.

01:05:00

Jenna Robertson: Go ahead.

Nik Cotter: Yeah, I can I can speak to that. So I remember fall 2016. We started the conversation right away about play structure, so it's been, it's been a long conversation. There was early on. There was a bit of an idea of putting the money aside for were at that point calling at school improvement. So really improving the facilities. And that could be outdoor such as place structure, or it could be anything else that improves the facility itself and that was so that it wouldn't find the hands of future councils thinking that they had to raise money for a place structure because of exactly these conversations. So we did buy the curtains they are in on the stage. We just need to set them up and I haven't had time to do that. So I need some people to help out with that at some point. We were looking at buying some sort of a lighting package, either some floor lights or some some like, follow spots that we could have for their performances.

Nik Cotter: I think there's also a nail looking at possibly upgrading our sound equipment. The, the microphones are not great, especially the wireless mic is constantly cropping out on us. So, if we could get something like that, and, The yeah, I hopefully that answers your question there. Andrea in terms of. Yeah. Okay.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, so Stuart was saying too, we have \$5,000 already in the account, set aside for the lights. And yeah, a good sound system would obviously be really helpful for the school so that could be something that we decide to allocate at the next meeting in terms of the short term to medium-term spending for sure. So make sure that gets added to the agenda.

Jenna Robertson: Okay, so there's no more further comments on that. The last thing we wanted to, I guess, agree, upon tonight would be the remaining School Council meetings for the rest of the school year. So I believe we have to have six meetings as a council for the rest of the year. So, we decided we came up with some so there's three. I'll put them in the chat here but it would be February 22nd, April, 19th and June 14th.

Jenna Robertson: Everybody's okay with that. And then we'll make sure those are scheduled.

Jenna Robertson: Nik.

Nik Cotter: I just wanted to check in was the the decision to continue virtual for the remaining remainder of the year.

Jenna Robertson: Right. Yeah, thank you for bringing that up, actually. That's really good point. So, last week, when suing and I met with Stuart, we talked about the possibility of maybe Reconvening for the following meeting in February in person. There's a lot of interest from people in the council that Kind of step forward and said, they'd like to meet in person next time so we can talk about that right now and whether or not we want to do that for the February meeting. Sui Ling.

Sui Ling: And we also talked about having an in-person meeting and having our new school trustee attend to talk about whatever she taught. It's a, she right? I remember the other one was who it was. So if it, if we are having an in-person meeting, I think Nick, you're going to reach out and see if she was available to come. Speak.

Nik Cotter: Yeah, and I think that might, you know, it's interesting that Stuart was talking about the That that workshop there, the virtual workshop about creating a culture of belonging on school council and it made me think about, you know, are those the sort of things that maybe would get more people to come out? So if we can say, we have this special guest our, our new trustee Is that the sort of thing that maybe creates that culture of us being there for them? So and and belongings probably easier to foster when you can actually see people and not have to deal with the unmuting mics and and everything. So yeah.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, for sure. So let's I guess let's bring that to for consensus. If we want to do the next meeting in person so that would be at the school February 22nd. Which is the Wednesday. It would be the same time. Where would that typically be held? Just because I've always done the meetings online myself. Would it be the like the library the makerspace? Okay.

01:10:00

Nik Cotter: In the past, we've had them in often in just the staff room, but it's actually kind of nice. If we can go library or makerspace it's, you can see a little bit more of the school and we can show you even some of the, the stuff that you bought for us in the past. And then you'll want to spend more money on us. So I I like if we can be in the learning commons, perhaps,

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, it's a great idea. Okay, so raise a hand, then if if you're interested in meeting person for February 22nd,

Jenna Robertson: Sorry didn't have my mic on case in point, always having to worry about Mike we believe we've reached consensus to me in person for the next meeting. Now, do we still want to offer and meet an option for people to join virtually? Just so they can hear like, listen in if they wanted to. Or is that too difficult tech, like, in terms of tech? Okay. Yeah, I see a lot of people nodding their heads. Yeah. Okay. Okay. Oh, Stuart go ahead. Sorry.

Stuart van Oostveen: Yeah, I was just gonna say with respect to that it, you know, it's tricky. It's, it's tricky to do that and it becomes kind of a symmetrical. The people online are easily forgotten and you're gonna have to have somebody who's dedicated just to watching the person who's in the room, but watching all the people online to see if there's any comments from that. So it's tricky to do and I know that from experience. You've done some meetings that way at our school and yeah, sometimes you don't even know who's online when you're there in person.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, those are really good points for sure. Okay, so we will do the next one in person and then we can decide as a group to if that's how we want to be going forward. All right. Is there anything else that anybody wants to discuss before we end the meeting about 15 minutes earlier than expected?

Andrea Gordon: Jenna, I put up all the dates on the website. Did you just want the February date or you guys asking for the April and June date to be, for sure?

Jenna Robertson: I think we were asking to get those set for the rest of the year Sui, Ling's got our hand up to, you want to add something to Ling?

Sui Ling: Um, if we're asking Donna, Dixon to if she can attend, do we need to Make sure that the February 22nd dates. Is she available or do? We need? What do we need to move? That date? If she's not available, is that One of the reasons why we want an in-person meeting.

Nik Cotter: I why don't I reach out to her? See if that's a possibility if if the February 22nd isn't but there's another date somewhere nearby. I can I can reach back out to everybody and maybe we can try to to make a decision by email. If we move that meeting or or just leave it as is so that we're not, we're not messing around too much with our with the schedule and then, you know, if she can't go until let's say March or something or whatever, then we do that. April, or whatever.

Sui Ling: Okay, perfect. And And Stuart, do we have access to the school on the Wednesday? I,

Stuart van Oostveen: Yeah. Certainly the, the staff room and the MAKERSPACE and the learning commas are all available. Yeah, I know the gym,...

Sui Ling: Okay, perfect.

Stuart van Oostveen: the gym, I think is being used on Wednesday evenings, but we're at the other end of the school, so we're good.

Sui Ling: Okay, perfect. Thank you.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, I guess we'll, we'll leave it up to T to the staff members on the call to decide what best, what spot to best hold it in. And then you guys can can let us know in time for the next meeting and

Jenna Robertson: Oh Jenna. Yep.

Jenna AuCoin: Is there a budget? I think last year we ended up just giving each division a budget rather than like granting individual wish list stuff. I think it was something like 1500 for primary 1500 for Junior. Maybe that like I don't know. That's something that we could talk next meeting.

Angela Ronald: Yeah, I'm not too sure. What funding was was what last year, but I know the the ASD classrooms got like, I don't know to 200 250 at the end of the year last year to spend on Like classroom resources. But again, I'm not too sure. Where that where that came from?

01:15:00

Jenna AuCoin: I don't think it was. I because we only remembered the SPC classes after the fact. Last year, I think we gave 1500 to intermediate 1500 to junior and 1500 to primary 1500 to kinder, and then we voted on that. And then after the fact, we were like, oh we should get the spc's 1500 and then we split that up between the three of us. but I mean, if, if Nick is gonna bring that back to the teachers and say hey like We're trying to gather a wish list. Would it make more sense to have a budget or are we just gonna Grant the Wish list.

Jenna Robertson: Stuart.

Stuart van Oostveen: I just wanted to mention there, there are some stipulations, like, it can't be curricular stuff, it has to be enhancements. So that's, um, that's, that's really key. And sometimes, if we are doing things like robotics, that could be seen as whole school useful, for all the kids in the school, including our kids and autism, there's ways to use it for them. Then those are some things that maybe we would not want to give a divide the budget up. So maybe Nick and I we let's go to the staff who we can talk and we can think about it. Maybe we aren't specifying everything. I think last year the money that we did get we did end up using mostly for trips or performances and in some cases it was a few other enhancements but

Stuart van Oostveen: We kind of have to be careful that we're sticking with the criteria of first. It's considered student generated funds because it's, it's fundraising, as opposed to ministry funds that come through the board and ministry funds that come to the board. We can use, we have to use directly for curricular and there's actually fewer restrictions on that. But that student generated funding. We really have to be careful that we're sticking with the rules.

Jenna Robertson: Go ahead, Nik.

Nik Cotter: Yeah, Jenna's Dispensation there that you know Milk program is raising money for MAKERSPACE and we're looking at buying some robotics and other tech there. So I know popcorn is also raising money. So we can certainly take a look at all of these other fundraisers that are happening. So that we're not getting too much overlap. And I think that's part of the conversation as a staff when it comes to generating wish list, I guess what, I am wondering and what with what Jenna's mentioning there is, did we end up at an actual dollar amount based on this 5020 50, 30, 20, and all of the these projections a dollar amount that we have as a as a package right now for, for teacher, which list is that that can help guide us a little bit as well.

Jenna Robertson: Yeah, I don't think we came up with anything concrete tonight. Our meeting. So we just said, 50% would be for the short-term and then 30% for medium terms. So 50%, I guess would be between now and June Sui Ling.

Sui Ling: I'll also, Bobby and Erica, and

Sui Ling: See what was given out as for the wish list last year, where they came up with the, the numbers and the percentages. I know we talked about the percentages but and I don't know if it was like, you know, 1500 to to each like the juniors intermediate or what. I'm not sure. But I'll reach out to them and try and get a number. So we can actually bring a number, you know, for the next meeting. So we know what, what dollar value we're looking at.

Nik Cotter: I don't know if it's possible to access financial records from, you know, even four or five years ago, maybe that would be helpful as well, because then we had, we had pizza fully running, we had a similar school population, maybe those would give us numbers and everything, that's a little bit closer to what we're dealing with now, as well. Just I, I don't know if those are easily available to us or where they're stored or house.

Jenna AuCoin: I have minutes as far back as four years ago. I could take a look at that.

Andrea Gordon: Keisha might still have the Excel stuff that he did should check with him and see if he still hasn't.

Nik Cotter: Okay, I can send him an email and see then.

Jenna Robertson: I was gonna say if we wanted to talk ballpark though, for when you go back to the staff to talk about wish lists, I wonder if we could just start with what Jenna remembers from. I believe it was last year. You said 1500 for primary? No.

Jenna AuCoin: I'm looking right now because now that I think we only raise 1,500 last year but like the other thing too, is that I inherited this bank account with 10K already in it, so I don't think it was like dissolved the right way that it was supposed to last year.

Jenna Robertson: Oh yeah, I had a Becky saying she doesn't remember wish those combo conversation last year, I don't remember that either. Yeah.

Jenna Robertson: but I think,...

Andrea Gordon: Here before.

Jenna Robertson: I mean,

01:20:00

Jenna Robertson: because if we're looking, if you're looking at spending 50% of roughly 20,

Jenna Robertson: Of the 28,000.

Rebecca Stanisc: But then you'll have another pizza go if you do the march to June.

Jenna Robertson: Right, that's right.

Rebecca Stanisc: Right? So there'll be an estimated. So I think what used to happen or one thing that we used to do at Avalon, was we either we gave a pot that then was kind of dispersed as needed to at the principal's discretion? I think to be honest like because people would come there'd be a performance plan or something. So we get paid from the the pod of the wish list and then that would kind of last till may or something and then there'd be like a top up towards the end of the year kind of for that final and the year stuff and then there was always carry over for the next council in September to kick off with, you know, the intro things and stuff they wanted to do then so. But I don't remember a conversation last year about wish list stuff.

Jenna Robertson: Okay. Yeah it sounds good and soothing and I had discussed with Stuart last week about kind of the idea of yeah giving them a pot and and basically Using it their discretion. But you know with the idea that they would come back to counsel and say, This is kind of where we spent the money on what just just so that we know, guess what's going on and we all love to know how the money is being spent and and stuff like that. Okay, so

Rebecca Stanisc: But I do like the idea that I like, Jenna's idea that each group would get so that it's even. So the primary junior and intermediate all kind of had the same You know amount to work from. I like that. I think that's that's fair in terms of making sure that the all the ages get covered.

Rebecca Stanisc: So I think to probably Nick to your point. It's more for the staff to have an idea because it's a lot different to ask for 500 than it is to ask for 2200 so where they actually looking at for these projects right? So we can give them an idea. You know, then they can work together. I suspect to find the ways that then when it's close. Like if we have 10,000 or 15,000 to work with, you know, in that 50% or if it's 40% of that, then at least even if it's over a bit weakened, as a council decide, okay? All their wish list stuff is actually 600 over what we budgeted, but can we make it work?

Jenna Robertson: Stuart.

Stuart van Oostveen: Yeah. It's it's it's kind of my job to make sure that the money gets spread even through all the grades and that can be kind of a challenge because sometimes you have one grade level that has a lot of items that they would like to put on the wish list in another grade level that I have to kind of remind me. You have this wish list money, you guys, What do you want? What do you want? What do you want? So, that's part of my role, and just making sure it's, That's a really important, guiding principle is that the money is distributed evenly to, you know, really pray for every student. So,

Stuart van Oostveen: That's that's kind of why I like to step in and if I if I don't do that, I found that that can be, sometimes it's something it's not even. So, I want to make sure that it is even and that we have kind of a plan and an idea of where the money go, because if we all say, okay, we're gonna use this for field trips, and then some end up planning as many field trips, then, then it

becomes kind of tricky, right? So, I want to make sure that we're gonna be careful about that. We have a kind of a plan going in before. You know, here's your part of money and then all of a sudden it's not spent this year, it really should be spent this year.

Jenna Robertson: Okay. So perhaps for the next meeting, then Jenna Sue Ling and I maybe we can discuss some like rough breakdowns of what the amounts might be to bring for a consensus at the next meeting and discussion

Jenna Robertson: Does that sound good for everybody? Okay. All right. Well, thanks very much. Everybody for coming out tonight and bringing you discussion and ideas for it. And if that's there's nothing else for anybody tonight. We'll see you in February at the school.

Jenna Robertson: Bye everybody. Thanks again, Devin and Ethan.

ETHAN ABEL: Bye.

Rebecca Stanisic: Thank you.

Meeting ended after 01:24:40 🙌